How to Apply
Apply at the Office of Graduate Studies webpage: https://grad.ucdavis.edu/apply
You’re eligible if you hold a DVM or equivalent degree allowing you to practice veterinary medicine in your country; hold an MD or equivalent; or have considerable professional experience in an allied field with at least a bachelor’s degree. You need a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0.
To complete the application,
- Pay the fees on the webpage
- “Create an Account”
- When asked to “Choose a Program”, the program is listed alphabetically as “Preventive Veterinary Medicine".
- You need three academic or professional recommendations (in English). Letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the online system. No paper copies or letter service letters are accepted.
- Your transcripts will be required from each college or university you have attended. Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll be prompted to upload scanned copies of your transcripts. Once you’re recommended for admission to the MPVM program, Graduate Studies will require an official, sealed transcript be sent directly to Graduate Studies. Instructions are included in provisional admission letters. International transcripts must be evaluated to a 4.0 scale in English. They can come directly from the college or university, a transcript evaluation service (e.g., World Education Services, Education Credential Evaluators, International Education Research Foundation or ACCRAO International Education Services), or a government-certified translation.
- GRE scores are not required for admission to the MPVM Program.
- If your native language is not English, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 80, and minimum acceptable IELTS score is 7.0.
- Essays are required for you to describe your research or professional interest, give a statement of purpose, and describe your personal history and diversity statement. The Admissions and Student Affairs committee is trying to get to know you and learn if the MPVM Program will be a good fit for you. Take some time to imagine your life and career after you complete the MPVM: what would you like to do? What excites you? How will you make a difference? How will the program change you. And then tell us what you’d like us to know about what made you who you are. What influenced you? How were you trained? What experiences have you had? Challenges you’ve faced? These essays are a very important part of your application.
What to Expect After You Apply
- You will receive a provisional admission letter from the MPVM program
- If you are receiving a funding award, it will be in your MPVM admission letter
- Once Graduate Studies has reviewed our recommendation to admit, you will receive an official letter of admission in email. This letter will have a link to select to respond to your offer (accept or decline)
- IF you are an international student
o Request an I-20/DS-2019 from SISS through iGlobal starting in April
- Check out our Student Visa page, Dependent Visa Information, Travel Resources, and Scholar Visa Types for all the information you'll need for your Visa process
Please note - this program starts in Fall Quarter each year.